[Openvpn-users] McAfee Internet Security Suite 8 blocks OpenVPN UDP connection
Will Harris
2006-01-20 09:07:02 UTC
was: UDP hangs at handshake.

I finally discovered that McAfee was causing my connection problems. Bear
in the mind that the firewall was DISABLED completely, and yet something was
preventing the openvpn client from receiving the UDP packets from the
server. As soon as I uninstalled McAfee the UDP connection began working
perfectly.

The clients that will be using this VPN must have some kind of virus
protection, can anyone recommend an AV solution you like that you know
first-hand do not interfere with openVPN?

Thanks,
Will
Jim Drash
2006-01-20 13:17:05 UTC
AVG from GriSoft www.grisoft.com is outstanding.
Charles Duffy
2006-01-20 13:20:08 UTC
Post by Will Harris
was: UDP hangs at handshake.
I finally discovered that McAfee was causing my connection problems.
Bear in the mind that the firewall was DISABLED completely, and yet
something was preventing the openvpn client from receiving the UDP
packets from the server. As soon as I uninstalled McAfee the UDP
connection began working perfectly.
You might consider contacting their tech support -- if enough people
complain, they might eventually do something about this on their end
(presuming there's no obscure user-twiddleable way to resolve this
effect without code changes -- which there might well be).
Avast! works for me.
Doug Lytle
2006-01-21 10:49:00 UTC
Post by Will Harris
was: UDP hangs at handshake.
I finally discovered that McAfee was causing my connection problems.
Bear in the mind that the firewall was DISABLED completely, and yet
something was preventing the openvpn client from receiving the UDP
packets from the server. As soon as I uninstalled McAfee the UDP
connection began working perfectly.
The clients that will be using this VPN must have some kind of virus
protection, can anyone recommend an AV solution you like that you know
first-hand do not interfere with openVPN?
Try re-installing the McAfee's package with a custom and only install
the virus scanner part. Then, for firewalling, download the free ZoneAlarm.

Doug
--
Ben Franklin quote:

Tom Spencer
2006-01-21 18:17:04 UTC
Yes, I actually narrowed it down to the Privacy Service after I sent my mail
yesterday. I was expecting it to be the Firewall or the Virus Scanner, but
for whatever reason it's the Privacy Service, even if it's disabled!

I started a thread about it on the McAfee forums here:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=68748

Details are there.

-Will

Thomas Domingo Dahlmann
2006-01-21 11:52:02 UTC
Trend Micro does the job perfectly for me.

/Domingo
Post by Will Harris
was: UDP hangs at handshake.
I finally discovered that McAfee was causing my connection problems.
Bear
in the mind that the firewall was DISABLED completely, and yet something
was preventing the openvpn client from receiving the UDP packets from the
server. As soon as I uninstalled McAfee the UDP connection began working
perfectly.
The clients that will be using this VPN must have some kind of virus
protection, can anyone recommend an AV solution you like that you know
first-hand do not interfere with openVPN?
Thanks,
Will
!DSPAM:43d0bf61107332079411182!
--
This mail was scanned by AntiVir MailGate.
This product is licensed for non-commercial use.